"We would do well to slow down a little, focus on the significant, lift up our eyes, and truly see the things that matter most." President Uchtdorf
.

Thursday, March 17, 2011

St. Patrick's Day

Growing up, I never remember doing much for St. Patrick's Day. I remember it is my Aunt Libby's Birthday and wearing green, but that is about it. During student teaching, I was introduced to making Leprechaun traps. I had never heard of such a thing before.

As this Holiday approached, I figured I would just do the same thing that my student teacher had done. She had the kids make traps out of Styrofoam cups and then while they were gone to recess, she would melt the cups to look like little hats. She would put the cups back along with some "gold." Then she would mess up the room and leave a note from the Leprechaun.

Well, I was the lame teacher of the group. These teachers went all out. They had their kids bring homemade traps from home. Then while their kids were gone, they put confetti and footprints and colored the toilet water green. It was crazy. I was amazed at how into they were. It made my traps look so lame. Other teacher had the Leprechaun leave clues and they went on a Leprechaun hunt around the school.

Aside from the 10 minutes it took to decorate their cups and their 10 minutes of being excited about the chaos the Leprechaun, I had a normal school day. Maybe that makes me a lame teacher. I guess next year I will do better on being excited about St. Patrick's day. At least I wore green, right?

No comments: