"We would do well to slow down a little, focus on the significant, lift up our eyes, and truly see the things that matter most." President Uchtdorf
.

Sunday, October 28, 2012

Holiday Excitement

It seems like this year I have been more excited about the holidays than in the past.  It may be that I like buying new decorations for our home or that I actually have a home to decorate. Although I have been excited for Halloween, it doesn't feel quite right.  It is on a Wednesday this year so it is almost being treated like any other day.  The kids aren't allowed to dress up for school and we aren't having a class party.  All that we are doing at church is a Trunk-or-Treat.  I haven't been to any haunted houses or Halloween parties.  I don't even have a costume this year.  I feel like there isn't as much hype this year.  It seems like it is over before it has even happened. 

At this point, I am just looking forward to Thanksgiving.  Typically I am always with family on Thanksgiving.  This year, Travis and I made the decision to stay here for Thanksgiving.  The trip down to Georgia is kind of long (especially for a pregnant lady) and we just have a short weekend off.  Since we are not going down, a group of us are getting together to do our own feast.  I am actually super excited because it will give me and Travis a chance to think of what traditions we want to start for our family.

One food tradition that I am definitely passing on is frying a turkey.  I can't have it any other way!  I just hope it turns out as good as Dad's.  Other things that we always have are homemade rolls, sweet potato casserole, mac 'n cheese, green bean casserole, pineapple casserole, stuffing, cranberry sauce and olives.  I can't remember what desserts we have besides an assortment of pies.  I may start my own dessert tradition for that. 

For Thanksgiving dinner, my Dad always says the blessing.  Some years we have said things we are grateful for, but not every year.  The rest of the day is spent laying around, watching football and snacking on leftovers.  I am interested to see what traditions my friends have that we can continue down the road. 

No comments: