This year, instead of teaching kindergarten again, I took a part-time job as an intervention specialist. I work with the lowest students in each grade to give them more individualized instruction in reading and math. I have loved this opportunity and learned a lot! I could go on more about how this is the perfect job for me at this point in my life, but I am writing for a different reason.
Right now, there is a lot going around about common core, how terrible
schools/teachers are, how teachers don't care about learning or the
students and only the testscores, unethical discipline, etc. I just wanted to write to share my experience today.
With my new position, I have the opportunity to meet with each grade level team, the school physiologist, school counselor, speech therapist, physical therapist, principal and other intervention teachers. We had one of these meetings today.
At these quarterly meetings, we discuss the needs of specific students in each class. Beforehand, all of the teachers thoughtfully think of all of their students and submit the names of those they are concerned about academically, socially, emotionally, etc.
This team of professionals brainstorm things that we, as a school, can do to help these individuals. We talked about everything from attendance issues to serious psychological issues. Each student gets the help from ALL of these people. Everyone participating in these meeting cares about THEM as an INDIVIDUAL.
There were several times during these meetings that I got teary eyed because of the love that these teachers have for these kids. These teachers put so much time, effort, brainpower and energy into each student to ensure that they succeed in all areas of their life. Most of these students do not come from homes like I grew up in. They are in homes that the parents are in and out of jail, they bounce around from one guardian to another, they have lost loved ones, they don't have food or new clothes, their parents don't value education, essentially they have no home support.
For some of these students, we are the only people that care about them. I heard stories today about how 3rd graders are being self-destructive because no one cares, how 8 year olds are being left at home while the parents go out and drink, how kindergarteners come home and their dad has been taken to jail and much much more. This made me so sad. The teachers are doing all they can to give the students a feeling of self-worth and that someone does care for them and their success. They are giving up their lunch breaks to spend individual time with students in need. They are buying them small incentives to let them know they care. They are fixing their hair because their mom won't give them the time of day. They are being a mother, counselor, nurse, psychologist, cheerleader, etc.
What I am saying is that the teachers DO care about their students. They aren't worried only about test scores. They are doing EVERYTHING in their power to give these students a better life. I am sick and tired of hearing that teachers don't care because we do!! I am so grateful for the teachers I work with!! They are some of the best I have seen! I appreciate all they do for their students and the time they put into making our school a positive, comfortable environment to be in.
No comments:
Post a Comment