Note: Do not read if you are offended easily. I am not referring to anyone specifically. I just really want to say thank you.
Something has been on my mind a lot lately and I have been hesitant to actually write it down in words. I just wanted to sincerely say thank you to everyone who has helped me become the person I am today. Mostly this is speaking to my mom and dad, but it is also to the men and women in my life who have supported me in every aspect of my life.
Growing up, I never felt like I had a lot of confidence. I never felt smart enough or pretty enough or skinny enough or funny enough or athletic enough. I often let people walk over me in an effort to get them to like me. As I grew and matured, my thinking began to change.
I started to realize that I didn't have to be the prettiest or the smartest or the skinniest or the best at everything. I just had to be me and that was good enough. I learned that people liked me for who I was and not for who I wanted to be. I learned that I could make my own decisions without worrying about what others would think. I learned that I could stand up for myself and people would still like me.
I am not exactly sure when this change took place, but it did. I realize it now. Maybe its because I know that I have a Heavenly Father that loves me. Maybe its because I know I have divine potential. Maybe its because I know my parents will support whatever decision I make even if they may not think it is the best one. Maybe its because I know I have a husband that will stand by me. Maybe its because I have seen others do the same and live so happily.
I can now say that I have confidence. Not the kind of confidence I dreamed about having in high school, but confidence in who I am as a person.
On facebook lately, it makes me sad to see so many people struggling with confidence issues. Not being able to make decisions without others telling them what to do, seeking approval from others, needing acknowledgment of everything they do, getting upset when they see others succeed. It just brings so much unnecessary stress and sadness.
I just wish everyone could understand how great life is when you know who you are and have confidence in yourself. Its not to say that I don't appreciate when someone notices my hard work or tells me I look pretty (who doesn't?) but I am confident in my life even when things go unnoticed.
2 comments:
I talk to Kent about this often! I think that 'confidence' or 'self worth' is a spiritual gift (like discernment, etc). Some people are born with this gift and others have to work harder at obtaining it! but the gift is still available to ALL. I think I was blessed with an overabundance of confidence and sometimes it can hinder my ability to see others' difficulties in obtaining it! thanks for the post! it was a good reminder for me!!
p.s. I think you are a pretty great person! smart, skinny, beautiful, kind, and just plain fun!!
Post a Comment