I try not to get involved in political discussions of any sort. Whether it is in person, on the phone, or through facebook, I try to avoid it. I whole-heartily feel that everyone should be entitled to their own opinion and we should respect each others opinion. I have seen too many people hurt or offended by opinions of others so I try not to get involved.
That being said, I have a few opinions about the 2012 elections. (since this is my opinion, on my blog, please be respectful) I don't like politics because I feel like it brings out the worst in people. On Facebook, I would say 85% of my friends are republican and voted for Romney. Of that 85%, I would say 80% of them are LDS. I was so disappointed to see the reactions of my friends this morning when I saw the election updates. They were downright awful in some cases. It made me a little ashamed to be a republican and member of the church because I didn't want these opinions to have an affect on what people thought of me. I try to live my beliefs and that includes lifting others up...not tearing them down.
While I may not have voted for Obama or believe in his policies, I am going to support him. Afterall, it was the majority that won so the majority liked his platform. I was brought up learning to respect authority/others. That could be anyone from a teacher, instructor, policeman, president, or the elderly lady next door. I don't care who it is, I will respect them.
At this point, there is nothing to do to change the outcome of the elections except to support and pray for our President. He needs people to lift him up and not tear him down. As I got on facebook this afternoon, I saw this quote by a prophet of our church and thought it summed up my feelings.
"We teach our people all over the world,
regardless of the countries in which they live, to sustain the policies
of their governments....
"If executive officials have been elected
by the vote of the people, after that vote is complete and the majority
has spoken, we have the obligation to support and sustain those who have
been elected by the majority, and not bring about disharmony. It tears
down government when opposition is raised....
"I would hope that as
members of the Church we can stand fast on these principles by
supporting and sustaining our governments wherever we may live and by
sustaining the officers of those governments with our prayers as well."
- Howard W. Hunter
This is what our church believes. For those of you that are not members, I encourage you to go to LDS.org to see what we believe. Please do not base your opinions off the ignorance of others. Please feel free to ask me any questions. I will do my best to answer them.
OK, that is my opinionated, political post of the year. Now I am done.
4 comments:
I completely agree, Amber. Completely. I'm so glad I'm not on Facebook right now to see everyone being ridiculous and fighting. You're great. I hope you're doing well and preparations for your baby girl are going well :)
Very well said!
I couldn't believe people's reactions that morning!! outrageous!!! we should focus on ourselves and what we can each do to better our country! I totally agree!
I completely agree. Well-said!
Post a Comment