"We would do well to slow down a little, focus on the significant, lift up our eyes, and truly see the things that matter most." President Uchtdorf
.

Thursday, March 7, 2013

Curious Children

I have been pregnant this whole school year, so the students have learned a lot about pregnancy.  They have learned that sometimes pregnant women throw up or need to eat right away or rest.  Today we had a totally new and unexpected conversation that made me laugh.  It was while they were at their tables doing some math. 

It all started when one of my students asked the question, "When you eat, does the baby eat too?"  I thought it was a well thought out question for a 5 year old.  I told him that she does.  I should have seen what was coming next.  "How?"  In as simple language and explanation as I could, I tried to explain how the umbilical cord works.  At this point, other students began to listen in and participate in the conversation.  Then a little girl asked what happened if the cord came out with the baby.  Now I was getting in too deep.  I explained that she is connected until she comes out and then you cut the cord and that is why we have a belly button. Side conversations began to trickle out about the nature of the cord and belly button.  Some students have younger siblings and talked about the "black thing" on their belly button.    

I thought the conversation had moved topics when another student asked how the baby gets inside of you.  I didn't respond right away.  I giggled to myself because I dread having this conversation with my own children, much less other people's children.  I started thinking of a way to steer the conversation in a different direction but luckily I didn't have to say anything.  I just became an observer.  A little girl popped in and said "God puts the baby in there."  I am practically dying at this point.  It was so entertaining to me!  I heard conversations about who God is, why he gives people babies, how the babies get in bellies and so on. 

So, if your child ever comes home with something they learned at school that day...don't judge the teacher.  Sometimes we get put in interesting situations. 

2 comments:

The Riggs said...

Haha! I got all kinds of funny questions and comments while teaching when prego too! I'm so excited for your sweet little one to come!! :)

Tammigirl said...

When my first daughter was in kindergarten her teacher said this at the start of the year: I'll make you a deal. I wont believe everything I hear about what happens at home and you don't believe everything you hear about what happens at school." Five year old children have interesting takes on things.