"We would do well to slow down a little, focus on the significant, lift up our eyes, and truly see the things that matter most." President Uchtdorf
.

Friday, April 19, 2013

Gas? Colic? Upset Tummy?

I don't care what you call it, I just know that it is MISERABLE!  Adelyn really is a great baby and hardly ever cries, but last night was a NIGHTMARE!!  It has happened 2 times before (just not quite as bad).  I can now say with a certainty, it isn't chocolate that she is sensitive to...it is tomato based foods.  The culprits of her screaming have been lasagna, taco soup and spaghetti.  Last night Travis said that he forbids me to eat anything of the sort ever again.

She was her usual angel self all day long.  She happily cooed on her playmat until it was time to eat and go to bed.  After eating, she fell asleep and cuddled with me.  About an hour later is when it started.  She started with just a small cry that I could console.  I had a meeting and passed her off to Travis.  That is when the horror began.  She screamed and screamed and screamed. 

She does this pathetic little cry where she kind of baa's like a lamb.  It is so sad.  She quivers and can't be soothed.  We tried giving her gas drops, we tried putting her in different positions, we tried stretching her legs up...nothing worked.  I rocked her and sang to her and prayed with her and told her I loved her.  Nothing seemed to be helping.  This went on for 4 LONG hours. 

Finally she was able to calm down and fell asleep on me.  I didn't want to move a muscle and risk waking her up so I let her sleep on me for a little while until I knew she was out.  I put her in her crib and she slept the whole night!  I had to wake her up at 6am because I was worried about her being starving and frankly, I was in pain full of milk.  She has been a perfect little angel again today.  She is happily talking and playing on her play mat right next to me right now.  I just love her to death!

Lessons learned from this? 

Number 1: Never, EVER eat tomato based food!  This is a sad day for me because I LOVE pizza, but it is totally worth it. 

Number 2:  It is the worst feeling in the world not being able to make your baby feel better...especially if you feel like it is your fault.

Number 3:  I have an amazing husband who is willing to take turns with me even when he has to get up early and go to work the next day.

Number 4:  Be grateful that she is such a good baby the rest of the time.

I love my baby Adelyn Jane!

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Many babies outgrow these sensitivities. My first had issues when I ate broccoli. He would be horribly fussy. So, I cut it out of my diet. I, too, was very relieved that chocolate wasn't the cause! Once he started on solids, he seemed much less sensitive. Hopefully, this will just be a short term sensitivity. At least you have been able to determine the cause, and it is a small sacrifice to keep baby's tummy happy :) She is a cutie!

Anonymous said...

Yes, these sensitivities come and go; the only constant in life is change.