"We would do well to slow down a little, focus on the significant, lift up our eyes, and truly see the things that matter most." President Uchtdorf
.

Monday, September 24, 2012

First Ultrasound

One of my friends works at the hospital that I am going to for my pregnancy in the Maternal Fetal Medicine Ultrasound and Genetics Department.  Do you know what that means?  She does ultrasounds all day.

She texted me on Thursday asking how far along I was because she needed to do an ultrasound on someone between 12 weeks 2 days and 14 weeks 2 days for a recertification.  It just so happened that I was 13 weeks 5 days.  She got me in the next day!

I just have to say, it was the coolest thing EVER!!!  I have never seen an ultrasound done before.  I have only seen pictures.  As soon as she put the probe on my belly, you could see the baby.  I have a real baby inside of me!  She kept laughing at me because I was so excited about everything.  I was excited to see a baby, I was excited to see only one, I was excited to see him/her move, I was excited to hear the heartbeat.  I could have watched the monitor all day.  It was soooo cool!

She did a bunch of measurements for her recertification and then answered a bunch of questions.  She pointed out the different parts of the baby (because honestly, I didn't always know what I was looking at).  She showed us the brain and how you could actually see the two hemispheres.  So cool!  She showed us the profile.  She showed us the scary skeleton view.  She showed us the heart and how you could see the two chambers beating.  She showed us the umbilical cord and the blood flowing through it.  She showed us his/her tiny hands and ten little fingers.  She showed us how you can determine gender.  (It is still early, so it could develop and be different, but she gave us an early guess!)  She showed us a 3-d image where you could see his/her cute little face.  Pretty much it was AMAZING!! I am so glad she brought me in early to see this amazing little miracle.

They aren't as good because they are pictures from my phone of the scan, but here is my little baby!

It is a good thing I can't feel anything yet.  Here he/she is pushing against my belly!  He/She kept moving and flipping the entire time!  We have an active little one!
I like to think that he/she is sucking his/her thumb.  It is probably just beside the mouth though.  
This one took me a minute to realize what I was looking at.  The 3-d images are so cool once you figure them out. The baby is on the right side of the image, laying on his/her back and looking up.  I love this little face already!
 
Last but not least...Travis' favorite.  He says our baby looks like Red Skull from Captain America.  Kind of creepy huh?
  
I go back in next Friday to confirm the gender.  I can't wait!!  I have been dying to buy baby clothes!!!

4 comments:

bethany jane. said...

Oh, I'm so SO excited for you!! What a precious little babe! I can't imagine how fun that must've been!

Katie said...

Ultrasounds are always so exciting!

Kent and Leisy said...

he/she has long legs like you!! I love the one of it pushing against you!!

Hawaii Monkeys said...

Amber - I haven't caught up on your blog in awhile. So funny, and cute, and exciting! I'm going to guess a boy! ;) I totally remember thinking the first ultrasound was amazing too, and seeing the living thing in my belly! Crazy feeling!-